An integrated services makeover of ARA Fire Kings Park
Since 2012, ARA has gone through a major transformation of offices nationwide. “From the beginning of our office refurbishments, our vision was to create a pleasant work environment for our employees, create a consistent brand culture across all offices, and to have a more sustainable workplace.” says Ed Federman, the Managing Director of ARA.
The latest office to undergo a makeover was the ground floor of ARA Fire at Kings Park, NSW. The ARA IT department was moved to this location due to business expansion and to create a central hub for the IT department. The goal was not only to design a functional space for the IT department’s specific needs, but also to make it a pleasant and welcoming workspace. It is a space that can be used as a hot desk for all members of the ARA Group.
As the IT team is part of the ARA Corporate brand, Corporate dark blue was used in the spatial design colour palette, giving the space a sophisticated feel. To resolve the lack of natural light in the space, most of the existing partitions were demolished and new glazed partitions were constructed to create an open space, visually connecting the office area with the hallway and the lunchroom with windows to the front of the building. The newly designed space offers multiple areas that support various work activities. This diversity in the spatial design is a response to the change in technologies surrounding business operation, as well as to provide areas with more privacy within the open plan office.
Given ARA’s commitment to sustainability, LED lights were used throughout with the aim to reduce the carbon footprint of the building. Compared to previously used fluorescent lights, a 60% reduction in energy usage is expected. Carpet manufactured on a carbon neutral basis by the company Interface, was used for the floor coverings.
In line with step change to an integrated services approach, involvement from other ARA divisions was sought;
- ARA Mechanical provided the air conditioning.
- ARA Fire installed the smoke detectors, exit signs, emergency lights and EWIS speakers.
- ARA Electrical installed the power, data connections and lighting.
- ARA Security installed motion sensors and security cameras.
- ARA Building designed the space and did the demolition, partitions, doors, glazing, painting, floor coverings, custom joinery, custom workstations, and procured the furniture.
- ARA Building provided the project management to ensure the successful integration of ARA services.